The government says it won't let Montreal turn into the “far west”.
In the aftermath of the shootings that left two dead on Tuesday in Montreal, the Premier of Quebec, François Legault, promises that his government will take steps to “restore order and protect the citizens” of the metropolis.
Reacting to the two murders committed in broad daylight in busy public places, François Legault announced on his Twitter account that he had spoken with the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Security, Geneviève Guilbault, and with the Mayor of Montreal, Valérie Plante.
We will not skimp on the means to restore order and protect citizens, he said. We will support our police forces wholeheartedly to put an end to this violence.
Earlier, the Prime Minister's press secretary, Ewan Sauves, had set the tone by assuring that the government would not will not let Montreal turn into the wild west.
Public Security Minister Geneviève Guilbault defends her government's strategy to combat gun violence in the aftermath of two gun murders that occurred yesterday in busy public places in Montreal.
In an interview on Wednesday afternoon at ICI RDI, Geneviève Guilbault admitted for her part that the current situation was worrying, even invasive for residents of the red light districts of the metropolis.
To counter the phenomenon of armed violence in the metropolis, Ms. Guilbault said she was open to funding the hiring of additional resources.
However, she returned the ball to the camp of the Plante administration and the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM), who disagree on the number of police officers who should be hired.
Moreover, Minister Guilbault did not want to say whether it would be appropriate to create a new squad to fight against armed violence in Montreal, like the Carcajou squad, created in 1995 to end the war. bikers.
She instead reiterated her confidence in CENTAURE, a strategy in which more than $200 million has been invested and which, since its inception last year, has led nearly 500 arrests and the search of as many firearms.
One of the shootings that occurred on Tuesday took place on Saint-Denis Street, in a busy Montreal neighborhood.< /p>
Valérie Plante will speak to the media shortly.
She will be accompanied for the occasion by the president of the executive committee, Dominique Ollivier, by the head of public security on the executive committee, Alain Vaillancourt, and by the deputy director general for urban security of the City of Montreal, Martin Prud'homme.
Since Tuesday, Ms. Plante has been in active talks with François Legault, Geneviève Guilbault, the SPVM and the federal Minister of Public Security, Marco Mendicino, said her press officer, Catherine Cadotte.
The Montreal police, she remains stingy with comments. Management is currently unavailable for operational reasons, as it is preparing a major response that will be announced in the coming days, a communications officer told Radio-Canada by email.
As incidents involving firearms multiply in the Montreal area, concern escalated on Tuesday following the death of Maxime Lenoir, 44, in the parking lot of the Rockland Center in Mont- Royal, and that of Diego Fiorita, 50, in a pizzeria in the Latin Quarter, rue Saint-Denis.
The police are still looking for the suspects in these two cases which , a priori, would not be connected, according to the SPVM.
Acts of violence by firearms have become almost daily in recent weeks in Montreal, where shootings and beatings fires, sometimes fired at random in residential areas, are increasing concern in the population.
Despite an increase from 11 to 30 million dollars in four years in the contribution of Quebec to the SPVM budget, the authorities are unable to stem the armed violence that has been proliferating for months in the streets of Montreal.
The statistics are there to prove it: from January to the end of July, at least nine people were killed by gunfire, according to data preliminary reports compiled by the SPVM, which also lists 32 attempted murders and 80 events where a firearm was discharged.