Iran nuclear: US responds to Tehran, rekindling hopes of deal

Iranian nuclear: US responds to Tehran, rekindling hopes of deal

A senior US official said on Tuesday on condition of anonymity that there were still disparities to overcome before reaching an agreement.

The United States responded on Wednesday to a European plan also submitted to the Iranians, rekindling hopes of a return to the historic agreement on the Iranian nuclear program of 2015 from which former President Donald Trump withdrew with crash.

We forwarded our response to the European Union today, US State Department spokesman Ned Price said. He gave no details on the content of the American response or on possible concessions on the part of the United States.

For its part, the ministry Iranian Foreign Affairs confirmed on Wednesday that it had received a response from the United States regarding the adjustments required by Tehran to the proposed agreement submitted by the European Union on the Iranian nuclear file.

Iran has started to carefully consider the US opinion and the Islamic Republic of Iran will convey its opinion to the [EU] coordinator after this examination, the door said. -spokesman of Iranian diplomacy, Nasser Kanani, in reference to Josep Borrell, the head of European diplomacy who is in charge of the dossier.

This diplomatic back-and-forth with extraordinary stakes, since it aims to guarantee that Iran does not develop an atomic weapon, is not however finished and the outcome negotiations still remains uncertain.

A senior US official said on Tuesday on condition of anonymity that there were still disparities to overcome before reaching a okay.

According to Washington, Iran has made concessions on key points, however, including dropping its demand to lift the designation of the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological army of the Islamic Republic, as as a terrorist organization.

US President Joe Biden refused to do so and on Tuesday ordered airstrikes targeting pro-Iranian militia bases in the east of Syria, affiliated with the Revolutionary Guards.

Negotiations on Iranian nuclear power, which began 16 months ago, but which had been suspended and then resumed in early August, aim to save this agreement concluded with the Tehran regime by the five permanent members of the Security Council of the United States. UN (China, United States, France, United Kingdom and Russia) plus Germany.

The United States withdrew in 2018 under the presidency of Donald Trump, and had tightened their sanctions against Tehran.

Since then, Iran has gradually freed itself from its obligations.

But the agreement is the subject of fierce opposition, starting with that of the Israelis, supported by the Republican opposition to President Biden.

Western powers must stop negotiating, because an agreement will allow Iran to earn billions of dollars (thanks to the lifting of economic sanctions, Editor's note) and will destabilize the Middle East, Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid pleaded on Wednesday.

Mr. Lapid dispatched his national security adviser Eyal Hulata to Washington this week. And the Minister of Defense, Benny Gantz, flies away early Thursday for the American capital to discuss among other things the Iranian nuclear, said his teams.

What's on the table right now is a bad deal. This will give 100 billion [US] dollars a year to Iran. This money will not be used to build schools or hospitals, but will be used to destabilize the Middle East […] by strengthening Hezbollah, Hamas and Islamic Jihad, Lapid said without explaining what this figure was based on. .

For their part, Republicans in the US Congress continue to denounce a bad agreement that would reward Iran, which is also accused of supporting terrorism.

They took up – to better denounce the ongoing negotiations – the alleged plot to assassinate John Bolton, former national security adviser to the White House under Donald Trump, fomented according to Washington by a member of the Revolutionary Guards.

In Washington, in any case, any notion of American concessions is rejected, affirming that it was Iran which made concessions on important questions.

For Suzanne DiMaggio, Carnegie Endowment for Internat ional Peace, if each side can make this look like a victory for them, then there is a chance that the JCPOA [the acronym for the agreement] will be restored.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous post Armed violence: “We will not skimp on the means”, assures François Legault
Next post Requirement to use ArriveCAN app challenged in Federal Court | Coronavirus