Le chef de EU diplomacy Josep Borrel
EU diplomacy chief Josep Borrell on Monday said he was “less confident” about a rapid conclusion of negotiations for saving the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, of which he is the coordinator.
I am sorry to say that I am less confident than 28 hours ago about the convergence of views […] and the prospect of closing the deal now, he said at a press conference in Brussels, without explaining which specific event he was referring to.
On August 31, Josep Borrell expressed the hope of an agreement in the days to come.
The Iranian nuclear negotiations, which began 16 months ago, but which had been suspended and then resumed in early August, aim to relaunch this agreement concluded in 2015 with Tehran by the five permanent members of the UN Security Council (United States). United States, France, United Kingdom, China and Russia) plus Germany.
The European Union (EU), coordinator of the talks, presented on August 8 what it called a final text to restore the agreement that was buried in 2018 by former US President Donald Trump.
The initial requests I received were reasonable from both sides and were accommodated without fundamentally altering the text, Borrell said, calling his proposal carefully balanced. But the last interactions do not converge, they diverge and the positions do not get closer […], on the contrary.
“C' is very worrying, if the process (of negotiations) does not converge, the whole process is in danger. »
— Josep Borrell, the head of European diplomacy
I must say that the last answer I got, if the goal is to conclude the agreement quickly, not going to help, he said, without elaborating. He added that he would continue consultations with all other participants of (the nuclear deal), and in particular the United States.
Last week, the US State Department deemed Tehran's response to be unconstructive, adding however that it would respond to the #x27;Iran through the EU. Iran said on Monday that it had not yet received an official response from the United States to its proposal.
Tehran recently called once again for the termination of an investigation by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) into traces of enriched uranium found at three undeclared sites, which the head of the Agency, Rafael Grossi, refuses.