The facts allegedly took place in January 2014 and involved four players from the Olympiques at the time (archives).
The Service de police de la Ville de Québec (SPVQ) will reopen an investigation into allegations of sexual assault against former Gatineau Olympiques players, according to the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (LHJMQ) .
The alleged facts allegedly took place in a hotel in Quebec City in January 2014 and concerned four Olympic players at the time.
The Quebec police had opened an investigation following of a sexual assault complaint. However, it was finally dropped without charges in 2015.
At first, Bloc Québécois MP Sébastien Lemire suggested that the file could be reopened.< /p>
During his appearance before the House of Commons Standing Committee to study the involvement of Hockey Canada in a case of allegations of sexual assault committed in 2018, I questioned the commissioner of the QMJHL, Gilles Courteau, about an alleged gang rape affecting the Gatineau Olympiques in January 2014. He replied that "an investigation had already taken place in this case. However, if the Police Department shows interest in reopening this investigation, we will certainly cooperate in the investigation," reported the Bloc Québécois spokesperson for Sports.
< p class="e-p">The Bloc MP indicated that he informed the SPVQ of this statement and that he subsequently received an acknowledgment of receipt confirming that the information was sent to the investigators in charge for analysis.
By e-mail, the SPVQ explained that it is concerned to always improve its practices on a continuous basis and to place the victims at the heart of its priorities.
It is important to maintain the confidence that victims have in the judicial system and to put all investigative means in place to resolve cases, writes the Quebec police.
The SPVQ however refused to confirm the reopening of the investigation, specifying that for obvious reasons of confidentiality, it cannot communicate information specifically concerning this file.
We invite any alleged victim of sexual assault who wishes to file a complaint for events, whether contemporary or not, or to pursue a complaint initiated in the past, or any victim who was unwilling to do so at the time. , to communicate with the SPVQ and not to hesitate to file a complaint, adds the SPVQ, which specifies that since October 2017, a sexual assault file review committee (REMAS) has been set up and any request for review in the material is treated with rigor and diligence.
People who want their case reviewed and reassessed can make a request to the police department, it says.
Even if the police have not wanted to say more, the QMJHL has confirmed the reopening of the file.
In a statement released Friday, she said she learned of the reopening of a police investigation surrounding events that took place in Quebec in early 2014 involving players from the Gatineau Olympiques.
The league adds that it will offer its full cooperation to the Quebec City police department.
In a written statement, the Olympiques de Gatineau have, for their part, indicated that they are aware that the police could reopen the investigation.
We will offer our full cooperation throughout the process, indicated the sports organization who added that she will not comment further on the case in order to respect the procedures in progress and not to interfere in the work of the police.
Recall that in 2015, another An investigation targeting the Olympiques had also been conducted by the Service de police de la Ville de Gatineau (SPVG) following a formal complaint of indecent action against six players. The facts allegedly took place at the Boston Pizza restaurant, in the Hull sector. The SPVG did not ultimately file charges.
With information from Charles Lalande