The operation took place early Thursday morning at the motel Pierre, in the borough of Saint-Laurent.
The suspect linked to three murders that took place in Montreal and Laval had been located at the motel Pierre, in Saint-Laurent.
The man who would be implicated in the three murders committed since Tuesday in Montreal and Laval has been shot dead by the authorities. He was known to police because of his mental health issues, according to the Sûreté du Québec (SQ).
The suspect, Abdulla Shaikh, was shot dead during a search conducted by the tactical intervention group of the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM) Thursday morning, around 7 a.m. The operation took place at the motel Pierre, located on boulevard Marcel-Laurin, in the borough of Saint-Laurent.
The police wanted to arrest the alleged murderer alive, but according to our information, Abdulla Shaikh left his hotel room armed with a light semi-automatic weapon – possibly a TEC-9 model – and opened fire at the sight of the intervention group, which would have had no choice but to replicate.
He was pronounced dead at the scene, said the Bureau of Independent Investigations (BEI) in its account of the events.
Authorities had located the man several hours before arriving. x27;intervene. His vehicle, a white Dodge Challenger, had been identified by the police in the parking lot of the motel.View larger
The police operation took place early Thursday morning. It resulted in the death of the suspect.
The suspect, who was 26 years old, was not linked to organized crime and acted alone during the past 36 hours, according to the SQ.
Abdullah Shaikh was known to the police because of his psychiatric problems. In 2018, he was found not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder for a mischief case in Montreal. He was also awaiting trial in Laval for sexual assault and assault in a 2016 case.
Asked about the suspect's background, the spokeswoman of the SQ Audrey-Anne Bilodeau, however, clarified that it was still too early to conclude that the mental disorders of Abdulla Shaikh could have played a role in the events which led to the death of three unfortunate victims more early this week.
Wednesday evening, Alex Crevier, a young man only 20 years old, was killed while he was riding a skateboard on Clermont Boulevard, in the Laval-des-Rapides sector. Officers from the Laval Police Department pronounced him dead upon arriving at the scene.
The previous night, two men, aged 64 and 48 respectively, had also been killed about an hour apart in Saint-Laurent and the neighboring borough of Ahuntsic-Cartierville, Montreal. One of the two victims, André Fernand Lemieux, was the father of Quebec boxer David Lemieux.
The same modus operandi, a bullet fired at the head, was observed in the three victims, who were all said to have been chosen at random.
Start of the widget. Skip the widget?End of widget. Back to top of widget?
The investigation into the three murders has been handed over to the SQ, while the BEI will handle Thursday morning's police intervention, which resulted in the death of the suspect.
Start of the Twitter widget. Skip widget? End of Twitter widget. Back to top of widget?
The SPVM will collaborate in this investigation, indicated its director, Sophie Roy, during a press briefing held Thursday morning. However, she declined to give more information so as not to harm the investigation.
Since Tuesday, all the investigative units of the gendarmerie and SPVM intelligence have been working day and night on a major investigation to elucidate these murders, he said. she declared. This is what allowed us to have a quick resolution to the situation.
The investigation is not yet over: the motives of the killer and the way in which he obtained a semi-automatic weapon remain unanswered for the moment.
Top of the Twitter widget. Skip widget? End of Twitter widget. Back to top of widget?
The mayoress of Montreal, Valérie Plante, described these murders as tragic, before saluting the work of the police forces, on Twitter. For the mayor, the last 48 hours have been trying for the populations of Montreal and Laval.
On the same social network, the Minister of Public Security, Geneviève Guilbault, has also thanked the SPVM which reacted quickly. The three homicides in Montreal and Laval horrified us all, she tweeted. Our hearts go out to the families of the three victims.
Gun violence is a growing problem in the metropolitan area. Residents of Laval-des-Rapides mobilized in June to denounce the phenomenon and demand more security measures.
In an interview with Tout un morning, the former mayor of the Montreal borough of Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension Anie Samson, who is now spokesperson for the Community of Citizens in Action against violent criminals, also expressed great concern about the situation.
With information from Pascal Robidas and Marc Verreault